There's a mountain that rises out of the Canterbury Plains that the locals thought was so amazing they just had to ski it. It's high and it's wide and on a good day you can see right across the patchwork of pastureland below to the Pacific Ocean.
Today, Mount Hutt is Canterbury's own "big mountain" with runs to accommodate families on a fun day in the snow as well as the variety it takes to entice even the hottest skiers and snowboarders, attracting people from all over the world. Yet you can still sense the local pride. This is Canterbury's ski area.
The summit 6 seat high-speed chairlift takes you to the highest point of any ski area in the South Island. From feeling on top of the world, you can cruise down the legendary 'Broadway' or take on the chutes and steeps of "The Towers". Then you can relax with the real NZ flavour that's unmistakably the country town of Methven.
There's simply nowhere else quite like it.
- With the Kids4Free programme there really is no excuse not to have a winter holiday in the South Island. Free day lift passes for children aged 10 years & under
- Easy 35 min drive from Methven
- Dedicated learning facilities - suitable for all abilities
- All day supervised kids programmed for 3 months of age to 15 years old
- One of the largest and highest ski areas in the South Island
- Varied terrain for beginner through to expert
365 hectares (excluding Rakaia Saddle Chutes of 107 hectares)
1 high speed six seater
1 quad chair
1 triple chair
1 enclosed surface conveyor lift
International - 2km
Mt Hutt boasts three progressive terrain parks - a beginner 'Sky High' terrain park, a novice/intermediate park and the advanced-level park.
Huber's Hut and the Sky High Cafe
Guest Services & Ticketing
Rental - skis and snowboards, boots and poles, ski & snowboard repairs, ski & snowboard storage
Retail outlet - ski accessories and clothing
First aid and emergency services
Licensed Early Learning Centre and all day dedicated children's programmes
Children aged 10 and under ski for free and youngsters aged three months to five years can be enrolled in the fully-licensed Early Learning Centre, while the older ones get to enjoy daily lessons in the Kea Club. Children ten and under enjoy free day lift passes every day of the season.
* Scheduled season dates are indicative only and dependant on weather and snow conditions.